Sunday, January 6, 2013

Scandinavian glory? by Matome Rampyapedi

2013 Men’s handball championships are here, and this is without any doubt an exciting event for every handball lover out there. It’s really exciting to have these nations in one event. This is where you get to see all different types of handball styles, creative moves, talent, and hopefully this time; an upset. I enjoy watching the handball from countries like: Japan, Brazil and Egypt, It’s not yet in the level where they could be giving countries like France or Germany a run for their money, but it’s getting somewhere. It’s really not that hard to see the gap between the European countries and the rest of the world, I mean it’s HUGE. Yes, you get a lot of great players from other non-European nations who are doing well in their teams (which of course are in Europe), but then again you can’t bring every handball player to come play handball in Europe.So something has to be done in their countries. But staying on the topic, here are my predictions for the World Cup:after the second round of the tournament, it’s going to be an “European Championship” with maybe an exception of one African country (hopefully). Yes Spain is the host country and they have all the support, but I honestly don’t see them pulling a “Serbia” out of their hats. They do have amazingly great players, but I’m just not sure about them this year. Sweden is one country that I’m really looking out for, I think their long overdue success is on its way. Judging by their performance at the Olympics, Steffan Olsson has done a great job with the team. Players like Kim Ekdahl du reitz, kim Andersson and Niklas Ekberg who are world-class, I see something great for them this year.
Of course I have to speak of France and Denmark, they are undoubtedly the kings of the sport today. France is a powerhouse, they’ve proven it. But can they retain their tittle? I’m not sure. All I can say is I foresee a Scandinavian glory in Spain this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment